San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge is 75 years old in May 2012 Photo: Alamy
The ultimate (travel destination) for me would be one perfect day in San Francisco. It’s a perfect 72 degrees, clear, the sky bright blue. I’d start down at Fisherman’s Wharf with someone I really like and end with a romantic dinner and a ride over the Golden Gate Bridge. There’s no city like it anywhere. And, if I could be there with the girl of my dreams, that would be the ultimate. ~Larry King
In May 2012 San Franciscans will be celebrating the 75th Anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge. On May 27, 1937 is when this iconic International Orange landmark opened to the public.
In addition to The Golden Gate Festival, the year-long 75th anniversary features:
- 75 Tributes to the Bridge, a series of public programs being presented throughout the year by Bay Area museums, cultural centers, universities, arts organizations, children’s groups, and others.
- Construction of a new 3,500-square-foot Bridge Pavilion to serve as a welcome and interpretive center and to provide a museum store featuring a wide range of commemorative and interpretive Bridge merchandise;
- Renovation of the historic Round House into a program staging and visitor education center;
- Upgrades to the Bridge Café, including a new menu with locally sourced and sustainable items;
- A “green screen” photo area where visitors can picture themselves in dramatic and publically inaccessible Bridge locations, such as the top of the tower;
- New personally guided Bridge tours, including the first-ever night tours, utilizing the latest in audio technology; and
- Enhancements to the Bridge Plaza and the adjacent national parklands, trails and overlooks within Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA).
Read More about The Golden Gate Festival, the year-long 75th anniversary from the press release about the celebration.
Image by: Anje Vela
Golden Gate Bridge Turns 75
Seventy-five years later, the bridge still sports that signature burnt-sienna hue. What is changing is the visitor experience. In coming weeks, major enhancements will be unveiled in celebration of this landmark anniversary. A sprawling waterfront festival is set for May 27, and commemorative events will continue throughout 2012….USA Today Travel
Image by: Anje Vela
San Francisco: peace and love and the bridge they said could not be built
Joseph Strauss, the chief engineer, spent years battling for his vision of the bridge they said could not be built. It required a feat of engineering to cross the two-mile strait of fierce tides and currents, strong winds and regular blinding fog. What was then the world’s longest suspension bridge…Telegraph UK
Image by: Anje Vela
All About Travel
6104 Northwest 63
Oklahoma City, OK 73132
info [at] allabout-travel.com
About All About Travel
Opened in 1978, All About Travel is located in the Oklahoma City area. We are a family owned and operated company that has strived to provide our clients with the highest quality of service for more than 30 years. Our agents can arrange all your travel needs from the individual hotel and/or car reservation to an around the world cruise. Nothing is out of reach.
We can help plan your honeymoon, your destination wedding or the much needed getaway for two. Don’t forget about your business, we can handle all the travel needs for your company as well. Anything from an airline flight and hotel for a meeting or all the planning needed for your next company-wide seminar. We can arrange hotel space for all attendees and meeting rooms for all purposes.
Our agents travel to many destinations on FAM trips (Familiarization trips) these trips are designed by tour operators and cruise lines to make certain that travel agents are up-to-date on popular destinations and cruise ships.
So the next time you need to, or better yet, want to travel…Let us help, it’s what we do.